Tuesday, June 12, 2012

babushka

Babushka or baboushka (from Russian: ба́бушка; IPA: [ˈbabʊʂkə], meaning "grandmother" or "old woman") may refer to: A Western term for a woman's headscarf tied below the chin in the Eastern European manner. During her nap/quiet time, I recently found Kate in her room with one of my scarf headbands around her head. She was excited to show me her "bonnet". I re-positioned the scarf to cover more of her head and told her that she had on a babushka. Kate: What is a babushka? Me: (as I show her what she looks like in a mirror) It is like a bonnet that Granny (my grandma, her great grandma) used to wear to keep her hair clean when she was working hard in the fields as a little girl. Kate: (a tremendous smile coming over her expressive face, she responds, gleaming and voice filled with pride) I look like I am ready to plant in the fields, Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment